In the spirit of Need to estimate, the following discussion happened yesterday.
- I know that you don't like estimating but I'm afraid I have to ask you to do that. We need to know which of these (on the wall) will be done by the end of March.
- I don't have a problem for estimating if that is the valid way to solve the real need. So first I would like to understand what kind of decisions are made based on these estimates.
- Well, it's important to inform certain people if this (pointing to a task on the wall) won't be done because then they have to find another solution for the problem.
- Are you sure asking the estimates is the right question here? Isn't the right question, at least initially, whether we should build this feature at all? I think we talked earlier that it actually doesn't make sense for us to implement it since it kind of doesn't belong to our application?
- Yes, I guess you're right. And there will be so few users that it won't pay back if we build it. Manual work for these cases should be just fine, at least by now.
- Ok, I will just tell them that this won't be done by the end of March and actually not at all in the foreseen feature. Thanks!
- Sure, no problem.